18 July 2012

A pregnancy misconception

Before I ever got pregnant, I was sure I'd have to spend half of it on bed rest or at least in pain because of my back. Surprisingly, that has not been the case at all.

My back problems started when I was about 14 years old. My mom was driving me and one of my siblings home (for the life of me, I can't remember if it was my brother or sister) and she had stopped for the blinking stop sign. The lady behind us didn't. And I, for some reason, had a feeling that I needed to turn around to see what was going on behind us. Which means I was twisted in my seat when the car rear-ended us. It threw me forward in a spine twisting motion. My mom took me to a chiropractor to be checked out. In the beginning I was going 3 times a week, then 2 and then once a week. Eventually it was once a month and nowadays it is only a couple of times a year, as needed. But I have learned that I need to keep active and my body in motion, and not do stupid things, or my back and neck get painful.

Because of this car wreck and the subsequent pain off and on over the years that I thought I would have problems during pregnancy. I am very thankful that this is not the case. In fact, I've been mostly back and neck pain free this entire time.

Since about 12 weeks into this pregnancy, I haven't been able to turn/twist my lower back very well for release, which makes the small amount of pain I do get last a bit longer. Also, the discomfort isn't enough to warrant a trip to the chiro. In fact, the pain has only been bad enough for me to go to the chiro once.

I do wonder if the weight of my tummy has balanced out my back and that is part of the reason that I haven't had much back issues. No idea if that would actually work that way or not, but it amuses me to think of it.

Last Saturday, during our pictures, I did move in some (normal) way as to pinch or tweak a nerve in my lower back. This area has been hurt/sore before, so it isn't surprising this time around, if a bit annoying. Some Panadol (paracetomol), a bit of rest and gentle stretching had helped. I hope things don't get worse before the end is here. If it does, I'll still be grateful to be in this position (of actually being pregnant) and for the fact that the duration of discomfort would be short.

For now, I'll continue on as I have been, which at this moment, means I'm off to go pick some mushrooms (chanterelle) with my MIL.