09 January 2012

7 weeks, 5 days and ALL is well

Where to start?! When I haven't been insanely busy at work, I've been trying to figure out what to write about our appointment today. The short of it, is it was good, very good. And the long of it... well, here it is:

As I predicted yesterday, I didn't sleep too well. I was just wound up in the evening and it took me forever to fall asleep, even though I was reading (Life from Scratch by Melissa Ford), which normally helps me fall asleep. Once I was asleep, I just kept waking up every hour or two. I dislike those sort of nights very much.

Mr Siili and I made it to the clinic at 10 o'clock on the dot! (And he was worried we'd be late.) Thanks to a parking spot right in front of the building, which I was hoping would be waiting for me. We made it up the elevator, signed in and sat down for 10 seconds or less when my name was called!

In the room, the doctor confirmed when my harvest and transfer took place (Nov 30th & Dec 2nd, respectively), if I got a positive on the designated day (yes, 3 of them) and if I had any bleeding (yes, a little bit one evening about a week after getting a BFP). She then told me to undress and hop up on the table.

Once up on the table, out came the wand! Oh, My, Gosh, I was nervous and excited! I've looked at enough pictures to pretty much know what I was looking for. The doctor found the placenta and little 'thing' inside of it almost immediately! When she found it, she motioned for Mr Siili to come over and join her. I know I looked at Mr Siili and grinned and he grinned back, but I was very focused on the screen to pay too much attention to him completely. She checked around to see if the little 'thing' company, but there is only the one. She said the placenta looks healthy, the yolk sac was diminishing, and the heart beat looked healthy. I saw the heart beating (but didn't hear it)!!
The little 'thing' measured at 13mm and 7 weeks, 5 days. Exactly where it should be! We even got our first picture. Aawww.

edited: Before the doctor could say too much, I asked about stopping progesterone! LOL. Yes, it is that important. The doctor sort of laughed at my eagerness. I only do two suppositories today and tomorrow and then one on Wednesday and Thursday. My last progesterone is THURSDAY!!! Mr Siili is going to be happy again! *wicked grin*

I hopped off the table, got dressed and asked a few questions (Mr Siili should be cleaning the litter box...but I'll most likely continue to do it with rubber gloves on and maybe even my face mask). I was then given my Äitiyskortti* (maternity card) which means I've graduated to going to Neuvola* (prenatal clinic), where the normal-pregnant women go! I am done with the IF clinic, unless we decide to use our last frozen embryo. I will give my local prenatal clinic a call in the morning (Tuesday) to make an appointment with them to get the low down on what to expect when expecting in Finland.

This whole doctor's appointment took only about 20 minutes. It took much longer to type this up than the whole thing took in real time. LOL

Afterward, Mr Siili and I went to an early lunch to celebrate. I had a BBQ burger and fries and he had meatballs with mashed potatoes. Then it was back to work for a very loooong and tiring day.

Needless to say, I am quite happy and feeling more like this is actually happening now. I'm off to call my dad, sister and brother and tell them the good news!

*These are very Finnish things that I'll explain more in detail in later posts.