06 November 2011

Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes

I love finding and trying new recipes. I love it even more when the recipe is a winner! This last week I was checking out Making Lemonade's Friday post and saw that she had linked to some Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes from Mom On Timeout. They looked delicious, easy and I happened to have one can of pumpkin left! I printed out the recipe and made them Saturday morning.

Oh my gosh! These really are perfect! They are easy to make, moist and oh, so yummy. (Even if I didn't have any cloves because I ran out of it last time I made zuc bread and never bough more, until today.) I've eaten them with maple syrup, apple sauce, plain and even cold. That are just that good. I was also nice enough to share some with Mr Siili.

The left overs are going with me to work tomorrow for breakfast! And I now need to figure out where to find more pumpkin, because I am going to make these again.

Below is the recipe for Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes.
If you want to see some yummy pictures and step-by-step how-to, check out Mom On Timeout's blog.

Ingredients
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c wheat flour   (I used barley flour as I didn't have wheat flour. JH)
3/4 c brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 c canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin)
1 c milk
1/4 c applesauce (or vegetable oil)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  I know there is a lot of ingredients but it is SO worth it!  Once all those spices get in the bowl just take a sniff and smile.  Smells like pumpkin pie!  (You can use more or less wheat flour depending on your preference.)

Add remaining ingredients and mix until just blended.  Do not over mix - just until blended.  I use applesauce but you can sub in vegetable oil if you prefer.

Pour about 1/3 cup of batter onto a lightly butter skillet.  Cook over medium heat until pancakes are lightly browned on the bottom.  Turn and cook until done.