14 October 2011

Friday 5: Out of place

This week's Friday 5 intrigued me and I think it'll be fun. It also reminded me of the Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the others". Anyone remember that?


    1. What non-food items are in your refrigerator or freezer?
    In the fridge we I have progesterone supositories and in the freezer we have a cold pack for sprains and injuries.

    2. What non-book items are on your bookshelves?
    Some knitting needles and yarn in a basket and some craft supplies.


    3. What song or album in your music collection doesn’t fit in with your usual tastes?

    I listen to quite a range of music and don't generally limit myself to one type of music. If the lyrics, tune or feeling of a song grab me, then I like it even if I don't like the rest of the songs in an album or by an artist. But, I think the stuff that surprises most people about me is the industrial rock or heavy metal music I listen to and love. I remember the time I told a couple of guys at school that I really loved Machines of Loving Grace. Their eyes just about bugged out of their heads. Tee hee!! The song, Butterfly Wings is probably my all time favorite! The tune and especially lyrics just get me.
    I also have a few albums of Kotiteollisuus. They are a Finnish heavy metal band, but I really like a few of their songs, such as Minä Olen (I Am) and Kevät (Spring).

    4. What item in your wardrobe really doesn’t match anything else?
    I recently took a bunch of stuff to the thrift store, so most of what didn't match is now gone and the rest of it is costume clothes (they match anything!). Maybe it would be the silky-stretchy-skin-tight white shirt that is way too short with black dragons on it. I have maybe worn it once about 15 years ago, but I just can't seem to part with it. It has recently made its way into my sewing box to be up-cycled into something else.

    5. What scar on your body did you receive in the unlikeliest of ways?
    I think this is a tie between two scars: the bump on my inner right wrist and the scar on the top of my left foot just behind my middle toe.
    The bump on my wrist happened one evening at Taekwon-do practice a year or so ago. I was holding the mitsi (er, the kicking/punch pad) for my partner to kick and she kicked to far over the thing and her big toe hit my wrist. It must have broke the blood vessel as it started turning color and itching immediately! I had a beautiful bruise for a week or so and then a bump.
    The scar on top of my left foot happened many years ago. I must have been 18 or 19 at the time. My ex and I were heading out to the sand dunes where there is a fresh water lake. On our way there, I stepped on a stick with my right foot and kicked my left foot into the end of the stick, causing said stick to protrude out of my foot. It hurt so freaking bad that I started laughing. And each time my ex's hand came anywhere near my food, I panicked and laughed more. Yes, I laugh under stress and pain. I finally pulled the stick and bits out on my own because I couldn't handle the thought of him touching it.