04 January 2013

Cookies as gifts, Xmas 2012

For the last few years, I've been giving my in-laws (MIL, FIL,SIL*2) cookies for xmas. I just got tired of stressing over what to get them and giving them something that they probably didn't want anyway. So, they now get cookies. I figure that even if they don't like all of the cookies, they will hopefully like some of them. Plus, they can pass them on to someone else and they won't be stuck with yet another thing that collects dust.

This year I made 4 different types of cookies and they are not something I have gifted before.
In the top left corner (clockwise) are the original Kellogg's Rice Krispie Treats, Holiday Pinwheel cookies from Christmas Your Way blog, Chocolate-Marshmallow-Fudge-thingies from my friend and White Chocolate & Raspberry Cake Pops (without the sticks).

The recipes for the first two can be found by following the links. The recipe for the chocolate-thingies from my friend can be found below. And the cake pops were sort of my own creation using a couple of sources for hints and tips and a cupcake mix & topping packet. I know there are many recipes out there for them right now as there are the 'in' thing, but if someone would like more details on what I did, I'd gladly share my process.

All of the cookies were easy to make, some of them just took a little bit of time, such as the pinwheels and cake pops. To help things along, I made cake pop innards on the 21st (Friday) and they firmed up over night, the chocolate-things on the 22nd. The pinwheel dough was prepped (rolled & cut) at the beginning of December and then frozen until I wanted to bake them on the 23rd (Sunday). The cake pops were rolled in melted chocolate on Saturday so that they could set up over night. The Rice Krispies were fully made on the 23rd.
Chocolate-Marshmallow-Fudge-thingies recipe
(I have no idea what these are called, except for yummy!)
Ingredients*:
325g (11,5 ounces) Chocolate
3dl (1 cup) marshmallows (They are different than the ones you can roast over a fire.)
1,5dl (1/2 cup) Vanilla Fudge squares
15 x 30cm (6 x 12 in) pan
parchment/baking paper

Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until all the chocolate is just melted. Don't over heat the chocolate. Stir in the marshmallows and vanilla fudge squares. (If the chocolate gets too hot, you have to wait a bit before you can add the marshmallows to the mix or they will melt.) Spread the mixture into your lined pan and let cool. If you want it cooled faster, stick it in the fridge for a bit. Once the chocolate is hard again, break it into pieces and serve!

*All measurements are rough estimates and you can substitute or add different items into this.